Since the EMS Desktop Client is the "backbone" for all editions of EMS, such as EMS Web App and EMS Kiosk, it enables you to customize the text that appears to users of those applications in your organization. This help text displays on various pages in EMS Web App, EMS Kiosk, EMS for Outlook, EMS Campus Planning Interface, and the EMS Floor Plans Utility. As the EMS administrator, you can configure this help text in EMS, or if you are assigned to an appropriate everyday user security template (which has administrator access), you can configure it directly in EMS Web App.
This topic provides information about the following:
- Configure Help Text in EMS Desktop Client
- Configure Help Text in EMS Web App
Depending on your organization, configuration in the EMS Desktop Client might need to be performed by a different type of System Administrator than configuration and text customization in the EMS Web App.
To enable custom help text for EMS Web App and/or EMS Kiosk:
- On the EMS menu bar, click Configuration > Everyday User Applications > Help Text.
The Help Text window opens. This window lists the name or description for all types of Help Text in use in your EMS Web App and EMS Kiosk installations and the EMS Web App or EMS Kiosk page on which it appears. To filter for only a specific type of help text, in Type, select a type.
You can view all help text including the text not in use. Select Obsolete. Obsolete Help Text displays in red and italics in the Help Text window.
- Select the Help Text to configure, and then click Edit.
The Help Text dialog opens on the Help Text tab. The tab contains options for entering and configuring the help text.
- Configure the help text.
- Design is selected by default. Use the standard Windows plain text formatting options to format the message (spacing, number of lines, capitalization, and so on) so that it is displayed the way that you want in the help text.
- Select HTML and enter the necessary HTML code to format the message (spacing, number of lines, capitalization, and so on) so that it is displayed the way that you want in the help text.
- If translations have been defined for everyday user templates (see Configure Language Translations), then open the Translations tab, and for each translation, click in the Text field, and enter the appropriate translation for the Help Text item.
- Click OK.
Once Help Text customization is enabled in the EMS Desktop Client, System Administrators in the EMS Web App can follow the instructions below to customize the applications help text. First, you enable the feature, then you navigate to each page in EMS Web App that you want to customize and enter help text.
To enable custom help text:
- Log in to EMS Web App.
- Click the menu next to your name, and then click Admin Functions.
The EMS Web App Administrator Function page opens.
- Click Enable Help Text Edit.
A confirmation message appears indicating that Help Text Mode is now enabled.
- Navigate to the EMS Web App page where you want to customize Help text.
Click the Edit option.
An edit window opens where you can customize the help text (click Edit to enter your custom help text).
- If your help text appears in another language, select a language option under Language. Language options are controlled by another Administrator setting, see Language Translations.
- After entering and configuring the Help text, click Save Changes to apply the text to the selected page.